Friday 17 July 2009

Mod focus - ACT Lightened Flywheel


As part of my B18C conversion I obviously decided to fully service the engine before it goes in, but to also fit a new OEM clutch and a lightened flywheel.
Well today I got my flywheel from America which is an ACT Street Lite flywheel which weighs 5.7kg.

Some of the benefits of the ACT lightened flywheel are:

-Quicker acceleration and increased throttle response
-Maximum gear life - gear will not wear out or fall off
-Serviceable - can be resurfaced with no need to purchase additional parts
-Chrome-moly forgings three times more rigid than aluminum
-Longer lasting because of heat treated friction surfaces
-Excellent heat capacity from retaining adequate material behind the friction surface
-Trouble-free single piece design -SFI certified to insure safety




Now, I don't have personal experience but here are some negatives when installed on a daily driver:

-More rev's needed to set off
-Harsher deceleration when letting off the throttle
-Rev's drop quicker

With a lot of modifications there is a compromise, so as my car is a daily driver I decided to go for the ACT over other light weight flywheels such as the Fidanza which weighs only 3.4kg for the above reasons.



The flywheel is still considerably lighter than stock, I will still see all the above benefits, but no so much or not has harsh negatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment